Illinois Alliance Insurance provides various types of coverage for all home and auto needs, from the most basic to the most broad coverage types. Our home and auto policies offer various discounts as well as convenient payment options. In addition, we are able to offer our clients package policies to include all autos, boats, homes and dwellings, as well as any other personal property to take advantage of discounts that our companies offer.

Illinois Alliance Insurance is pleased to represent:
Homeowner's Insurance

You put a lot of time and money into your home. Home insurance is one means to protect your investment. Understanding your personal needs, you bring together a package of different coverages to provide as much protection as you feel necessary. Home insurance can protect you from damages to your home, its contents or even from financial liability if someone outside of your household is injured and you are found to be responsible. Taking the time now to understand home insurance will help you to fend off potential financial misfortune in the future.

Exclusions and Additional Coverage

Read your home policy carefully to find out what is excluded from coverage. In addition to excluded perils, your coverage may exclude:

  • Property and liability of tenants, roomers or boarders. Tenants may opt to purchase renters insurance.

  • Business liability for damages resulting from home business activities and professional services. Talk to your insurance agent about separate business-related coverage.

You can add to your package by purchasing additional coverages, such as:

  • Jewelry
  • Earthquake
  • Flood (must be purchased separately from the federal National Flood Insurance Program).


Most companies offers a variety of discounts to help you save money, including:

  • New Home Discount
  • Mature Homeowners Discount
  • Multi-Policy Discount
  • Claim Free Discount
  • Protective Devices Discount
  • Superior Home Discount

Discount availability varies by state.

This information, although a reasonable description of the coverage provided, does not constitute part of the policy or binder of insurance and shall not be construed to replace any provision of the policy itself. In the event of any conflict between the policy and this information, the provisions of the policy shall prevail. It is therefore important that you read your policy carefully for complete details.

How much insurance do I really need?
The last thing you need is to find out after your home has been damaged is that you don't have enough insurance. Likewise, you don't want to be paying for insurance you really don't need either. There are ways to make sure you have the right protection - without having more than you need. First, you need to estimate how much your house would cost to completely rebuild it. At Illinois Alliance Insurance Agency, we use industry standard Marshall and Swift/Boeckh software to calculate the replacement cost of your home. Next, we recommend you also purchase "inflation" protection, which adjusts your limits annually to reflect any increases in value due to inflation.

Finally, strongly consider Guaranteed Replacement Cost, which guarantees that you will have the right amount if you need to completely rebuild after a loss.

What is the difference between "actual cash value" and "replacement cost" protection?

  • "Actual cash value" is the amount your property is worth at the time of the loss. It is, essentially, the cost to replace the item minus depreciation, which takes into account the loss of value due to age and normal wear and tear. The actual cash value on a piece of property, whether it is your home, stereo or favorite chair, may be much less than the cost to replace it new. When insurance companies settle on this basis, you may receive a check for an amount much less than you need to replace the item.

  • "Replacement Cost" is the amount to replace your house, other buildings, and personal property without any deductions for depreciation. Your agent can help you calculate what your Replacement Cost should be.



The questions below are based on the most common of homeowners policies, the HO-3. Only your insurance agent can tell you for sure if your policy has the same coverage as the answers below.

Am I covered for direct losses due to fire, lightning, tornadoes, wind storms, hail, explosions, smoke, vandalism and theft?
Yes. The HO-3 provides broad coverage for these and other disasters or “perils,” as they are called in the policy, including all those listed in the question. You should check the dollar limits of insurance in your policy and make sure you are comfortable with the amount of insurance you have for specific items.

Are my jewelry and other valuables covered?
The standard policy provides only from $1,000 to $2,000 for theft of jewelry. If your jewelry is worth a lot more, you should purchase higher limits. You may wish to add a floater to your policy to cover specific pieces of jewelry and other expensive possessions such as paintings, electronic equipment, stamp collections or silverware, for example. The floater will provide both higher limits and protect you from additional risks, not covered in your normal policy.

Am I covered for flood damage?
No. So, if you live in a flood-prone area it may be wise to purchase flood insurance. Flood insurance is provided by the federal government, under a program run by the Federal Insurance Administration. In some parts of the country, homes can be damaged or destroyed by mudslides. This risk is also covered under flood policies. Contact your agent or company representative to get this insurance or call the Federal Emergency Management Agency at 1-800-427-4661 or visit its Web site at

A pipe bursts and water flows all over my floors. Am I covered?
Yes. The HO-3 covers you for accidental discharge of water from a plumbing system. You should check your plumbing and heating systems once a year. While you are covered for damage, who needs the mess and hassle?

What if water seeps into my basement from the ground, am I covered?
No. Water seepage is excluded under the HO-3. And if the water seepage is not due to a flood you will not be covered under a flood policy. Seepage is viewed as a maintenance issue and is not covered by insurance. You should see a contractor about waterproofing your basement.

A neighbor slips on my sidewalk or falls down my porch steps and threatens to take me to court for damages. Does my policy protect me?
Yes. The policy will pay for damages, if a fall or other accident on your property is the result of your negligence. It will also pay for the legal costs of defending you against a claim. Also, the medical payments part of your homeowners policy will cover medical expenses, if a neighbor or guest is injured on your property. You should check to see how much liability protection you have. The standard amount is $300,000. If you feel you need more, consider purchasing higher limits.

A tree falls and damages my roof during a storm. Am I covered?
Yes. You are covered for the damage to your roof. You are also covered for the removal of the tree, generally up to a $500 limit. You should cut down dead or dying trees close to your house and prune branches that are near your house. It's true that your insurance covers damage, but falling trees and branches can also injure your family.

My golf clubs are stolen from the trunk of my car. Does my homeowners policy cover the loss?
Yes. The HO-3 covers your personal property while it is anywhere in the world. However, if your golf clubs are old, you will only get their current value, which may not be enough to purchase a new set. Consider buying a replacement cost endorsement for your personal property. This way you will get what it costs to replace the golf clubs, less the applicable deductible.